take me anywhere

take me anywhere's book montage

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Cinnamon Peeler: Selected Poems
Night
Divisadero
Atonement
Philadelphia, Here I Come! : A Comedy in Three Acts
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down
The Lost Salt Gift of Blood
Imagining Argentina
A Year Without "Made in China": One Family's True Life Adventure in the Global Economy
The End of America: A Letter of Warning To A Young Patriot
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Amongst Women
Church of the Dog
Charming Billy
Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace... One School at a Time
The Birth House
The Poisonwood Bible
Catching Fire
The Hunger Games


take me anywhere's favorite books »

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Moving Through Rooms.

My Grandpa (well, my husband's) but he is mine too, passed away last Sunday. His funeral was yesterday. It was a celebration of his life and many memories were shared. The night he passed away my husband and I sat in the dark with "hey, remember . . ." We have lived in their and now our house for 5 years now and that night in the dark my husband would show me where there was a newspaper clipping of him, a certain picture, or gadget of Grandpa's. We can move through rooms and know what furniture piece, like their full (he was rather tall) bed used to stand. We have changed (I wouldn't say exactly updated, the roof yes, but most things no) rooms. When he died I went through each room to see what was the same, what still remained, existed from them, our Grandparents. I was comforted by much. Pink and gold speckled bathroom floor. Check. Grey and white 50's kitchen counter top (I have seen the matching table at antique stores). Check. Burn mark on linoleum kitchen floor. Check. When someone is gone, it makes you want to grab onto those extensions of them even more. I stand where Grandma washed dishes and I too, use the clothesline where Grandma would hang the wash to dry. I see Grandpa in an oil stain in the garage. An oil stain from years of fixing, coaxing engines into power. As family members looked through treasures lost, we came across pictures of the house. It had been snowing and Grandma was standing on the back porch. The next picture was her standing in the doorway of the front mud room porch. This reminds me of Harold, who probably said, okay now let's get one of you in the back. Alright, how about the front. We have taken those exact pictures with snow but without grandma. I need a copy of those, that's for sure.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Our condolences to your family. We're thinking of you even more so during this difficult time. Love, the Ritters

annabell bash said...

Sorry to hear of your loss... I had no idea. It feels like it's been ages since I've seen you... miss you much. If you need an ear - give me a ring... anytime. Take care :)