take me anywhere

take me anywhere's book montage

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Cinnamon Peeler: Selected Poems
Night
Divisadero
Atonement
Philadelphia, Here I Come! : A Comedy in Three Acts
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down
The Lost Salt Gift of Blood
Imagining Argentina
A Year Without "Made in China": One Family's True Life Adventure in the Global Economy
The End of America: A Letter of Warning To A Young Patriot
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Amongst Women
Church of the Dog
Charming Billy
Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace... One School at a Time
The Birth House
The Poisonwood Bible
Catching Fire
The Hunger Games


take me anywhere's favorite books »

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Happy Mom's Day!

Gabe has been sick this past month and he just wasn't overcoming his respitory issues. Days of round the clock nebulizer treatments aren't good and can't sustain you when you continue to grasp for breathe. I knew this was leading us to the hospital. His O2 sats were 85%, which screams hosptital here we come. He needed O2 help, stronger doses of albuterol, and steroids. He was slammed with all of the above.





He looks sleepy here, comforting himself with his much used blanky. This display would have been nice when my goal was getting him to take a nap so the nurse could test his O2 sats. Oxygen drops while asleep and they wanted to make sure he could hold it. Well, after adult sized portions of albuterol and steroids, he was a firecracker and I was standing there hoping my hand didn't get blown off. It was like he was on speed and a 2 year old in a caged room is hard enough, let alone one going bonkers. I tried calming books, singing his favorite songs, lying in his bed with him, lying in the guest pullout with him, following him anywhere he would like to attempt to sleep. They even carried over a rocking chair from the Family Birth Center for a good rock. No luck. Every time Dr. Levine would peek his head in, he would laugh at Gabe bobbing around. A nap we did not take. I would have loved to have taken a nap instead of being the one to manage this wild-thing muppet.

Gabe got to use this really cool or should I say scary dragon mask for his neb. treatments. They didn't use these last year when he was hospitalized. Well, he has grown since then and this was a little too big, so I guess now he is just bigger. My 2 and a half year old 22 pounder.

He is so brave and endlessly sweet. This happened just in time for Mother's Day. He made me appreciate the privilege of being a mom, of being his mom. I am thankful for this blessing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Keeping you all in our thoughts. We hope he's feeling better! Sounded like a wild hospital visit..

genevieve said...

Wow, you are such a trooper! Hope he is doing better now.